Protecting the wildlife, wild places, and
community character of Jackson Hole since 1979.
Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance: Protecting What We Love – Celebrating 40 Years from Orijin Media on Vimeo.
Annual Report 2019-2020
Four decades ago unplanned growth and development threatened the wildlife, wild places, and community character that make Jackson Hole special. Understanding they could not respond to this challenge individually, a group of citizens decided to work together as an alliance to help our community responsibly plan for a better future. These citizens also understood our valley needed a local organization with deep roots in our community to address a continual parade of bad ideas.
Over the next 18 years the Jackson Hole Alliance for Responsible Planning grew into a strong and respected voice in our valley, addressing increasingly daunting development pressures and a continual parade of bad ideas. In 1997, recognizing we had long ago expanded our scope to dealing with challenges to the public lands that define Jackson Hole, we changed our name to the Jackson Hole Conservation Alliance. Though the name changed, our core mission remained the same: to protect the wildlife, wild places, and community character that make this place so incredible.
Since 1979 the Alliance has effectively worked as a watchdog to keep Jackson Hole wild and beautiful. The results of our work are all around us, most of which are things we don’t see today.
Now, we are building on our tradition of protecting what makes this valley special by uniting our community around a shared vision of a better future and empowering the wHole community to live in balance with nature.
We focus on addressing the big challenges we face to achieve the largest possible impact; empowering citizens and our partners to run campaigns that realize tangible change; using facts and data to help our community have honest conversations about the long-term consequences of our decisions; holding our elected representatives accountable for the choices that shape our future; and engaging the community in our civic process to build a Jackson Hole where we live in balance with nature.
Our goal is to make Jackson Hole a national model of living in balance with nature, and, most importantly, to engage the whole community in working toward this vision. If we work together as an alliance, we can protect what we all love about this special place.
At the Alliance:
- We believe we have a responsibility to leave things better than we found them and create a better world for our children.
- We believe we should have an honest conversation about the long-term consequences of our decisions based on facts and data.
- We believe in empowering people to work together toward a better future.
- We believe our elected representatives should make decisions in the best long-term interest of our community – and that we as a community have a responsibility to hold them accountable for these decisions.
- We believe in advancing balanced solutions that will create a better future for our community.
- We believe in constructively responding to the big challenges we face.