Do you want scenic helicopter tours circling our lands, wildlife, and people?
Tony Chambers of Wind River Air, LLC has a new proposal for scenic helicopter tours. While the proposal does not involve flying over or within a half mile of the park (except during takeoff and landing), the route includes wilderness areas and popular recreation areas.
Sound familiar? That’s because it is. Twenty years ago, our community fought long and hard against allowing a similar operation from a different company. Our slogan then is the same as it is now: HELI NO.
The Alliance and the National Parks Conservation Association oppose this and any scenic heli proposal in Jackson Hole.
(Note: we enthusiastically support Search & Rescue helicopters!)
This proposal will go before the Airport Board. Please see their recent guest shot explaining relevant history and their understanding of FAA rules here.
Jackson Town Council and the Teton County Board of Commissioners both wrote letters expressing their concerns. We encourage our community members to share your take with everyone involved: the Council, Commission, Airport Board, and perhaps most important: the potential operator directly.
If you still think heli tours are not a good fit for our valley, speak up!
What can I do?
- Reach out to our organizer, Clare at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn more background in this article from the Jackson Hole News & Guide.
- See more resources and some history on heli tours in Jackson.
Send an email
- Email heli pilot/business owner Tony Chambers expressing your concerns as a community member: email@example.com. Please CC the Airport Board: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The next soonest time his permit could be reviewed would be at the February 17 Airport Board meeting
Please write and/or talk about what matters to you most: noise impacts, wildlife impacts, increased emissions, and human safety, or your top concerns. If you don’t know where to start, see our resources page with sample letters or contact Clare@jhalliance.org with questions.