Do you want helicopter “scenic tours” circling our lands, wildlife, and people?
Tony Chambers of Wind River Air, LLC has a new proposal for scenic helicopter tours. While the proposal does not involve flying over or within a half mile of the park (except during takeoff and landing), the route includes wilderness areas and popular recreation areas.
Sound familiar? That’s because it is. Twenty years ago, our community fought long and hard against allowing a similar operation from a different company. Our slogan then is the same as it is now: HELI NO. The Alliance board opposes this and any scenic heli proposal. (Note: we enthusiastically support Search & Rescue helicopters!)
This proposal will go before the Airport Board. Please see their recent guest shot explaining relevant history and their understanding of FAA rules here.
Jackson Town Council and the Teton County Board of Commissioners both wrote letters expressing their concerns. We encourage our community members to share your take with everyone involved: the Council, Commission, Airport Board, and perhaps most important: the potential operator directly.
If you still think heli tours are not a good fit for our valley, speak up!
What can I do?
- Reach out to our organizer, Clare at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn more background in this article from the Jackson Hole News & Guide.
- See more resources and some history on heli tours in Jackson.
Send an email
- Email the Teton County Commission ASAP and ask that they release a public letter voicing concerns or direct opposition to the helicopter tours: email@example.com
- Email the Town Council: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email heli pilot/business owner Tony Chambers expressing your concerns as a community member: email@example.com. Please CC the Airport Board: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attend a meeting
- Attend the Airport Board’s Heli-Tour Open House on Monday, December 16 from 5-7 PM at the Teton County Library. Tony Chambers will be there to answer questions about his permit and hear comment
- Attend the Airport Board meeting on Wednesday, December 18 at 9 AM at the Jackson Hole Airport and give public comment. Read the Airport Board’s recent guest shot here.
Please feel free to write and/or talk about what matters to you most: noise impacts, wildlife impacts, increased emissions, and human safety, or your top concerns. Contact Clare@jhalliance.org with any questions.